Prepare to be shocked!
I know I’ve gone on in length before about how I refuse to act my age. It’s a numerical designator that lost it’s appeal to me somewhere around 35. Since then I’ve made the decision that I’m not going to be an old fuddy duddy. However, I must point out a certain aspect of maturity that apparently eludes apprrximately 70% of our society, and a good 50% of the authors and aspiring authors I’ve observed on facebook.
I love funny posts as much as the next gal. I’ve posted a few myself. But there are certain behaviours that are reminiscent to my high school days or even back in junior high. People behaving badly on social media – it’s rampant!
Remeber the mean girls in school? The ones who had their little cliques, wore the latest designer clothes while your parents made you wear the same jeans they bought you last week? The ones who felt compelled to tell you that “ew. That outfit is so last season.” Or something like “Well, girls with any sense of fashion would wear a pair of jeans that does NOT emphasize the muffin top.” Meanwhile they’re sporting the whole muffin! Girls that go through a tube of mascara every month while ridiculing the girl with the extraordinary long lashes for wearing a ton of mascar when she in fact doesn’t wear any!
It’ s not just the girls either. Bad behaviour is not confined to gender, or nationality. Bad behaviour is a universal truth in our world of social media. Sad very sad truth that it is.
The overwhelming majority of us weren’t in the cliques. Think about it, five or six girls (I’m using girls becasue that’s my reference but remember not gender specific!) out of the entire high school. I attended a small high school where the total enrollment was under 500. I know many who had their senior class larger than 500. So that leaves the greater majority of us non clique-ers that the “meangirls clique” lashed out at.
It must be difficult to be perfect; to know that nobody else is as good as you, or can ever hope to achieve that level of perfection. What a sad, lonely, and pathetic existence. So here’s my top offenses by the recent “meangirl” lashing.
- Bashing someone elses work that is different from yours. I don’t read noire fiction but some do. Don’t bash my stuff because I don’t write like you! Shakespeare isn’t for everyone either but he had his share of critics. On one hand if you have critics I suppose you must be doing something right. Score one for me!
- Snarky comments – really? Really?? Is that the best you can do? If you’ve got a problem with me bring it sister or mister! Saying little comments to my other facebook friends in chat and telling them lies about me or telling me lies about my friends or posting lies in a group is really tasteless, juvenile behaviour. Do you honestly think the rest of us are so ignorant not to observe this continued behaviour? Score another one for me.
- Subtle innuendos thrown my way. Please, you might as well give it up becasue your efforts are lame at best, pathetic at their worst. Until you’ve mastered the art of insult I suggest you refrain form them. And sublte? You might want to look that one up in the dictionary sweetums. Score three for me!
- Name Calling. That was what, preschool? Doodoo head, booger eater, frog face, . . . Granted you have advanced to a few more intelligent names but really, they are just as lame. Penalty on your for resorting to such juvenile behaviour that’s one point for me, and negative 1 for you.
- Resorting to insults when I’m not immediate with a response. Seriously? Do you thnk I live my life by Facebook? Maybe that’s how you roll, but I have other things to do than hang on every word that you type into Facebook. I know it’s difficult to believe, but some of us do have real life contacts in our lives, people that we care about and care about them.
- Blasting in generalities for all the millions of people that don’t recognize your brilliance. Uh no. Sorry to say that your bulb is not brilliant, and in fact is quite dim. Don’t you have anything better to do with your time? OH, sadly apparently you don’t. Again score 1 point for me.
- Exagerrating an incident to appear greater in your friend’s eyes. That didn’t work back in fourth grade, it isn’t going to fly here.
Seven to negative one, clear victory here! Feel free to give a rebuttal. I will give fair warning however, I will counter your rebuttal with the remainder of my lists and then call you out by name. My blog – my rules – deal with it!
What about you? Ever have to deal with those juvenile “meanies” on the cyber waves? Have you ever been taken in by their lame attempts to slander others while raising themselves up?
I think my readers are smarter than than. Therefore, I do realize that most of this rant is indeed wasted as the guilty parties would only read this purely to criticize. It has been one very bad day in Mack land. Hope your day has been better. I shall return to the usually scheduled program tomorrow. To counter this rant I shall give you my other links. this was the highlight of an otherwise very bad day.
http://authoranjieharrte.blogspot.com/2012/09/kiss-of-dragon-tantalizing-excerpt-by.html?showComment=1346957302472#c5480150170366026777 This is a blurb, an excerpt, and a review of Kiss of the Dragon.
http://satinsheet.nowatapress.com/2012/09/06/september-showcase-the-beauty-behind-the-blog-ms-ellie-mack/ An interview with yours truly!
Double blessings! Would it be really mean to give the mean people a big rasperry?
Write On my Friends, Write on!