It’s here, a day late but it’s here. I’ve been working on my goals list for a few days now. I’ll admit my plan was to cheat, take an older list and use that as my base. Well, that didn’t work as the old lists are gone along with my other files that were sabotaged back in February.
What I’ve done in the past is one goal for every year that I am alive. As I turn 50 today – that is a big number. I decided to change the plan. My goals, my life, my prerogative! First of all I don’t feel 50, I feel more like say 35. So I can knock a few items off the list. Secondly, 35 seems an ambiguous number when dealing with the big FIVE -O, so I decided to do halfsies. 25 – 25 goals for 2014! * Insert the Counts laughter here*
In the past I divided my goals up into 10 life categories:
- Home / Physical environment
- Health / Fitness
- Growth / Learning
- Money / Finance
- Social relationships
It’s getting to a more manageable size now, only needing to plug-in my goals into the categories. So, as part of my sharing them here, I expect my faithful followers to hold my feet to the fire on these and keep me accountable.
Here we go, Ellie’s big goals for 2014: *drum roll*
- Home/environment: Remove 5 items from house every week whether through throw away, give away, or sell. (Have I mentioned the hubs is a pack-rat? And that I accumulate stacks of paper and wont part with any books?)
- Home/environment: Get my desk set up and have a stable work area that is my dedicated space.
- Home/environment: Have kitchen and living room flooring replaced in 2014.
- Relationship: Spend 50 minutes per week doing something for the man of my affections.
- Relationship: Have 25 dates – no kids, no double dates, or group parties that count as dates but real life mono y mono date.
- Health/fitness: Lose 50 pounds by December 31, 2014.
- Health/fitness: Eat 5 fruits and vegetables daily, or at least 5 days a week.
- Health/fitness: I will consume at least 50 ounces of water every day. I know I should do more like 100 ounces but let’s start with 50.
- Growth/Learning: I will learn 5 new skills this year.
- Growth/Learning: I will read 50 books this year.
- Career: Attend 5 professional seminars, workshops, &/or courses.
- Career: Finish and publish 3 books this year.
- Career: 365 Book. Write 500 words every day for 365 days.
- Money/ Finances: Get all medical bills from 2013 paid off!
- Money/Finances: Invest 500 dollars this year from wages.
- Social/relationships: Go out with my friends 25 times in the year.
- Social/relationships: Host 5 theme parties over the year.
- Community: Knit/crochet 50 scarves to donate to the homeless shelter.
- Community: Do 50 kind deeds for someone – anyone, over the course of the year.
- Fun: Make a list of 50 things that make me happy and refer to it often when I get down.
- Fun: Try 50 new recipes this year.
- Fun: Spend 5 nights in 5 new cities.
- Spirituality: Spend 50 hours over the year improving my spiritual well-being though healing, counseling, prayer, and meditation.
- Spirituality: Spend 50 minutes of ME time each week.
- Spirituality: Start a gratitude journal – one good thing for each day.
There you have it folks – none of them are beyond my reach. Some will definitely take some work but all are doable. Incremental steps throughout gradually and by the end of the year the goals will be achieved if not surpassed.
All are tangible SMART goals. How about you, what are your goals for the year?
Write on my friends and set those goals.
Failure to plan is planning to fail.