I try to eat healthy most of the time, I’m always searching for new recipes that are tasty and nutritious. Lately I’ve been trying to find low calorie meals to prepare. I have found a few simple tricks to help cut calories that don’t really affect the taste. In fact a couple of them I like better. So today’s post is short and sweet.
10 tricks to shave 100 calories that are relatively painless!
- Use Chicken broth instead of oil. Using broth for steaming your vegetables instead of sauteeing in oil.
- Drink coffee. Not frappuccinos, not cappuccinos just plain ol’ coffee. Some of those creamy concoctions are way more than 100 calories. For example at Panera’s they have an iced mocha frappuccino that is 1200 calories.
- Drink water Choose water over all other beverages. Soda is an obvious one that will save you more than 100 calories, but even the 10 calorie drinks add up. My big weakness is sport’s drinks which contain 130 calories for a 20 ounce bottle.
- Cut the cheese! *snigger snigger* NO, really. Cut the cheese from your burger, or sub sandwich and you can easily shave 100 calories.
- Make substitutions. In some baking you can substitute applesauce for oil. For example in quick breads it is simple to substitute the applesauce.
- Be mindful of portion size. The calorie counting book states that a sirloin steak is 65 calories per ounce. So if you have a 6 ounce steak you have 384 calories but if you in fact eat the 12 ounce sirloin you’ve consumed 780 calories. ( Yes, I know how to do math – my point is choose the smaller steak.)
- Use condiments sparingly. Most people use more than one packet of catsup, or a couple packets of mayo. Let’s not forget that cute little tub of flavored cream cheese at the bagel shop. Take those bagels home and use neufchatel instead! Catsup is loaded with sugar also!
- Reduce your dressing. I mean, the kind on your salads. Get one of those handy little spritzer things, or use a vinaigrette, or use the fork method with your dressing on the side. I saw that trick on Dr. Oz and decided to try it and it really works!
- Make Smarter choices. A lean turkey burger or my new favorite a portobello instead of ground beef. Choose turkey sausage instead of pork sausage. Whole grain for white. You guys know these things , we just aren’t doing them.
- Drink a fine wine! A 5 ounce serving of merlot has 100 calories. A 12 ounce beer has typically 150 calories. So by swapping 2 beers for 2 glasses of wine you cut 100 calories. Or just have the one glass and save more. But make sure of the type of wine you are having. Those cheap sweet wines are loaded with calories, and sugar. After all what is wine made from? Fermented fruit and sugar. They don’t call it a beer belly for nothing.
There you have it! Something useful that you found on my blog which justifies the time that you spent reading it.
Write on my friends, and eat well!