Hey guys, remember back in January when I posted my goals for the year? Remember how I said I needed my friends to help keep me accountable? Well, there’s a little problem with that. Unless I go check back over the list I don’t have in my frontal lobe my goals. I sort of kind of have made progress on them.
A few of my friends were quick to point out that I was sounding OCD and over planning my life. Hey, chill out and relax. Take life one day at a time. Take what comes your way and just live. Ummm, I am 50 and I did that in my younger years and haven’t accomplished what i think I should accomplish hence the goals. Then there were the ones that said my goals were too lofty. Shoot for the stars and if I clear the trees it’s still a win, ok?
So here it is June, and I need to do an evaluation of my progress.
- Home/environment: Remove 5 items from house every week whether through throw away, give away, or sell. (Have I mentioned the hubs is a pack-rat? And that I accumulate stacks of paper and wont part with any books?) Umm, yeah. I started on this and I have 3 bags of stuff to take to Goodwill and I am working on gathering more stuff for a garage sale then Goodwill. . . as far as what has actually left the house? Not much sadly.
- Home/environment: Get my desk set up and have a stable work area that is my dedicated space. HA! Well this hasn’t happened yet. But I do have six more months to make it happen I suppose.
- Home/environment: Have kitchen and living room flooring replaced in 2014. Hasn’t happened yet, not looking like it will unless I get a different job that pays double what I make now or college expenses suddenly decrease by 30%.
- Relationship: Spend 50 minutes per week doing something for the man of my affections. Between January and March I have to admit I did not do this at all. I was determined to not have affection for said man. Since then we both have made concerted efforts towards improving our relationship.
- Relationship: Have 25 dates – no kids, no double dates, or group parties that count as dates but real life mono y mono date. 1.Going to dinner after a speaking engagement – sort of counts, sort of doesn’t given the conversation. 2. Went out for ice cream and talked – yes we actually talked. Between mouthfuls of ice cream but there were words. 3. Hours of walking through the antique mall with much laughter. We saw a camel saddle for sale. How many people have need for a camel saddle? 4. We went to an auction – got rained out but there was much conversation on the car ride.
- Health/fitness: Lose 50 pounds by December 31, 2014. Lost some, gained some. It’s a wild roller coaster ride as I am an emotional eater. Current verdict – I’m down 14 pounds form the beginning of the year. Yeah, better get moving more on this one.
- Health/fitness: Eat 5 fruits and vegetables daily, or at least 5 days a week. I am proud to say that I have averaged 4.3 days a week since the beginning of the year. It’s not 5 yet unless you count potatoes. I’m not counting potatoes but they are a vegetable- technically. Over the past 6 weeks we have averaged 5.
- Health/fitness: I will consume at least 50 ounces of water every day. I know I should do more like 100 ounces but let’s start with 50. Yeah, I need to work on this. Why didn’t I set this as 50 ounces of coffee?
- Growth/Learning: I will learn 5 new skills this year.
- Growth/Learning: I will read 50 books this year. Sadly I am way behind on this one. I’ve read a few really good ones, like Aedyn Byrnes book Through the Oracle’s Mist. I’ve not read nearly as many books this year as I normally do.
- Career: Attend 5 professional seminars, workshops, &/or courses. 3 down 2 to go. The one I spoke at counts, right? RIGHT?
- Career: Finish and publish 3 books this year. Not yet, still working on it.
- Career: 365 Book. Write 500 words every day for 365 days. I’ve averaged 500 words for 5 days a week. Sadly they aren’t all on one project. I need to work on that.
- Money/ Finances: Get all medical bills from 2013 paid off! DONE!
- Money/Finances: Invest 500 dollars this year from wages. Hasn’t happened yet.
- Social/relationships: Go out with my friends 25 times in the year. Hasn’t happened.
- Social/relationships: Host 5 theme parties over the year. Man, I am way behind the curve on parties!! I gotta get moving on this one!
- Community: Knit/crochet 50 scarves to donate to the homeless shelter. Got 10 made, 3 in partial completion. It’s hard to crochet when it’s hot outside. This is a sit and watch tv sort of activity and I haven’t really watched a lot of tv.
- Community: Do 50 kind deeds for someone – anyone, over the course of the year. I started writing down the things I knew of that I would consider kind deeds – then I didn’t write them down for a while so my records indicate that I am on 22.
- Fun: Make a list of 50 things that make me happy and refer to it often when I get down. Made my list, lost my list. Made a new list, lost my list.
- Fun: Try 25 new recipes this year. So far I’ve tried 11 new recipes.
- Fun: Spend 5 nights in 5 new cities. HAHAHA! – What was I thinking? I have spent 0 nights in other cities.
- Spirituality: Spend 50 hours over the year improving my spiritual well-being though healing, counseling, prayer, and meditation. Hours spent so far probably closer to 9 hours. yeah, I should get on that.
- Spirituality: Spend 50 minutes of ME time each week. I think I must have been on hallucinogenics or something when I set these goals. Did I mention that I am a mom? That I work part time? That I am a writer? 50 minutes doesn’t sound like much per week but honestly – I would be lucky if it were 15 per week.
- Spirituality: Start a gratitude journal – one good thing for each day. I had a great start on this one. I have things written down daily through February 5th. * hangs head in shame*
Well at least I am honest, ok? I could have just lied to y’all and say I was doing wonderful only my conscience wouldn’t allow me to. I’d end up telling you that I lied, and how sorry I was. It’s much better this way. You may know that I am an overachiever and scatterbrained but you’ll also know I’m honest. Honestly trying to do better but often revert to those habits that have gained me nothing thus far. It’s good to see our short comings and know where we need to go from here.
Thanks for stopping by and sharing in my humility. Or was that humiliation? Yeah, a little of both I think.
OK, well regrouping for a better half of the year.
Write on my friends, and stick to your plans.