Once again, it’s time for the Marketing for Romance Writers yearlong blog hop. For week 46, the writing prompt is:
Let Me Brag For A Minute
Wow! Who would have thought that for me, a talker, this would be so difficult? I may have to go have another cup of coffee to think. Or maybe two.
Upon reading the prompt my immediate thought is – I have nothing to brag about – period. But that’s not true! Each of us has a story to tell, each of us has accomplishments. I am more comfortable bragging about my friends and fellow authors than I am tooting my own horn, which is probably one reason my sales aren’t better!
But, this week’s prompt. . . is it too late to back out????? Yeah?? OK, FINE! Let’s get this over with.
Ellie’s Top 5 Bragging Rights:
- Way back in my younger days. . . . *jump into the way back machine* . . . I earned a scholarship to attend Southeast Missouri State University. It covered everything except the housing, which at that time wasn’t nearly as expensive as now, that my daughter is attending there. I went on to complete my degree even though I lost my scholarship. I had to maintain a 3.5 gpa, and after the first year, my gpa was 3.47. Nevertheless, I won a scholarship!
- Have been married to the same man for 32 years! It hasn’t been smooth sailing. We’ve certainly had our ups and downs, good times bad times, better and worse, sickness and health, . . . it was touchy for a while there but we made it through together. In this day and age, 20 years is a victory. 30 years is rare! I count this as a victory! We’re not perfect, we’re just two people who decide at the end of the day that the surplus column is greater than the deficit!
- I have published 3 books. I know, in the grand scheme of things that isn’t many but the fact that I have completed – and published 3 tells me that there is hope for the other 18 files on my computer. Several are completed but need editing. Some need revision, some need just a tweak here or there, . . . yes, I tend to be one of those who is hesitant to cut the cord because I worry that the world at large will not appreciate my babies.
- I am an excellent cook! Do you think I got this extra insulation by being a lousy cook? Seriously! It would probably be better for my and my family’s waistlines if I were one of those women who can’t even boil water. I can cook just about anything. I’ve mastered Italian foods – lasagna, mostaccioli, pasta marinara, pasta con Pesce, fettuccini alfredo, and numerous other dishes including Capresi salad. I’ve mastered a few variations of Chinese foods – egg drop soup is so incredibly simple, I don’t know how anyone could get it wrong. Fried rice – it’s like jambalaya only Chinese. A couple favorites are General Tso’s chicken, chicken and vegetable, beef broccoli, and orange chicken. I’ve mastered some cajun cuisine – jambalaya, of course, red beans and rice, shrimp et tu fe, and gumbo. I’ve mastered good ol’ American homestyle – chicken and dumplings – have been requested at many family gatherings, beef stew, roast chicken dinner, pot roast. My family’s favorites are Tex Mex – enchiladas, fajitas, tacos, burritos, and tamales along with refried beans, and pico de gallo. Then, of course, is my pie making abilities. The only pie I haven’t tackled is pecan pie because my husband makes it and it’s always excellent. Unfortunately, I can no longer have sugar so my baking has dwindled down to experimenting with sugar-free recipes. On an up note, I made a carrot cake for a recent gathering that was sugar-free and had 5 requests for the recipe! The only thing I haven’t mastered, and I feel that it’s because I get impatient is fried chicken! LOL
- My first book Red Wine & Roses was nominated for several awards. I was nominated for best cover, best contemporary romance, debut author, and debut romance author. I didn’t win, but it was cool to be nominated. I was in the top five for the final round of nominations, so I think that was pretty cool.
- BONUS: I am claiming bragging rights for beating breast cancer! I’m still here, still kicking, still writing, and getting stronger every day! I thank God every day that I wake up and have a renewed sense of what’s important in my life. I’m sorry that it took something like this to get my full attention, but it has and I am learning to make myself a priority, which I haven’t done for a long time.
What bragging rights do you have? What thing are you most proud of? Several things? Let’s hear what yours are!
Have a great one and write on my friends, write on.